Monday, May 5, 2008

Working on the Dining Room...

I spent Sunday upholstering the ottomans that I made last weekend. It was actually easier than I thought it would be. I didn't have to sew and I didn't even use the staple gun - I was out of staples anyway! Instead, I used the hot glue gun to adhere the batting to the MDF and the moleskin to the batting. Worked like a charm! Everything's nice and snug and looking good. I added two pieces of MDF to the bottom of each ottoman to act as extra support. Now all I have to do is add felt protectors to keep the floor from scratching and figure out what color to upholster the lids. I'll probably go with purple so they match the chairs.

After I finish with that, I've got a lot of touch up painting to do. The dining room table and chairs need a fresh new coat of paint. I painted them last summer when we first moved in, but I was too lazy to put a protective coat on them. They don't look too bad, but some of the paint has chipped off from normal wear and tear. This time I'll add the extra protector to keep them looking nice!

I also have to repaint the buffet in the dining room. I painted the first part and left it out in the sun to dry. Jerome painted the second part for me while I was at work. We brought it inside to dry instead of leaving it in the sun. Now, you can see a color difference...the sun dried half is a matte black and the part that dried inside kept its gloss.

Hopefully I get everything done as planned. The dining room is the last major project. I really want it to look nice for Jerome's birthday party which is in a couple of weeks. After that, it'll be time to prepare for moving! Only I would wait until a few months before move out time to redo a room!

No comments:

Post a Comment