I know you've already made (or defrosted!) your Thanksgiving dessert but I just HAD to share this with you...
I was browsing Flickr for Thanksgiving inspiration when I came across what could be the most delicious dessert EVER!! This pumpkind gingerbread trifle was made by Jade19721 as an alternative to pumpkin pie. It definitely works for me!
Pumpkin Gingerbread Trifle
- 2 (14-ounce) packages gingerbread mix
- 1 (5.1-ounce) package cook-and-serve vanilla pudding mix
- 1 (30-ounce) can pumpkin pie filling
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/3 teaspoon ground cardamom or cinnamon
- 1 (12-ounce) container frozen whipped topping
- 1/2 cup gingersnaps, optional
Bake the gingerbread according to the package directions; cool completely.
Meanwhile, prepare the pudding and set aside to cool. Stir the pumpkin pie filling, sugar, and cardamom into the pudding.
Crumble 1 batch of gingerbread into the bottom of a large, pretty bowl. Pour 1/2 of the pudding mixture over the gingerbread, then add a layer of whipped topping. Repeat with the remaining gingerbread, pudding, and whipped topping.
Sprinkle the top with crushed gingersnaps, if desired. Refrigerate overnight. Trifle can be layered in a punch bowl.