Originally, I was going to add red to the living room curtains and pillows, but I really wanted to get away from the red and orange scheme and get into some more vibrant, fun colors. I chose orange, teal blue, and kiwi green with a few marigold accents to pick up on the color variations of the orange furniture.
I was actually able to find the perfect fabrics at Ikea. The only color they didn't have was the teal, but I was able to find teal sheets that I cut up instead. I used these fabrics to make pillows and curtains. It's been awhile since the last time I sewed anything, so I grabbed a couple packs of No-Sew fabric adhesive and Velcro so I could easily remove the pillow covers to be washed.
I was up until 1:30am making the pillow cases. The first few I did I used the adhesive. I didn't like the way those turned out; the tape is about 1/2" thick which leaves you with a 1/2" border around the inside edges of the pillow and gives you a flat, floppy look. In the end, I sucked it up and got out my needle and thread. Though I'm not a super sewer by any means, the pillows look nice and are fluffier than the glued pillows.
The curtains still need a little work. I didn't like the original design so I got up at 6:30a this morning and added loops to the top to give them a little more updated look. I used the marigold cotton fabric for the curtains but I think I'm going to add a little of the orange loose-weave fabric to give the curtains a little more texture.
Tonight, I'm going to pick up this great Danish coffee table which will go perfectly with our furniture. The previous owners redid the top in a hunter green but I think I'm going to go with the kiwi or teal for the living room. After the Thanksgiving trip to Ohio, I'll be purchasing the record cabinet finally. I found a couple on craigslist that have beautiful wood and are still in working condition!
My computer's having issues uploading my pictures :( so instead of living room pics, I'll leave you with some awesome 60's inspiration from Apartment Therapy.